Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Light for People Powered Sewing Machines





Those of us that enjoy a good tour of duty with a treadle or handcrank sewing machine some times suffer from lack of good lighting on the sewing area. Last year I bought two of those new high powered bright bendable lights from my friendly sewing machine guy, the intention was to use one on my e-machine and the other to do duty on my treadles and handcranks. I finally got around to going to the tool store where I found a small round magnet that can pick up something that weighs 16 pounds. I figured any magnet that could pick up 16 lbs could hold that little bendable light in place. The bracket that cames with the bendable light was the same diameter as the magnet, what a deal. The bracket is permanently stuck to the magnet so it can be moved from any metal machine to another. At present it is attached to the faceplate of a Harris 9H hand crank machine. So I don't really have to worry about any scratches that might occure when removing it for transport or the like; however, the magnet has a real hold and can take some prying to get it off, so I am thinking of putting either a circle of mole's cloth on the surface of the magnet or making a flannel bootie to cover the whole magnet and bracket so that the chances of scratches are minimized. Anyway, it works like a champ and serves the purpose very well. But the heavy duty 16 lb magnet is a trophy...k

No comments: